Amazing Felines - Cat Blog

8.13.2005

Helping Stray Cats

Sushi and Sake' when we first found them. They were thrown inthe street when they became a handful.

This is a topic which is close to my heart. It's about spaying and neutering stray and feral cats. The number of unwanted kittens out in the street is alarming.
Spaying is not an easy thing to do for females. For males, the procedure is quite simple and they recuperate very fast. For females, the procedure involves opening them up and the healing time is slow. Plus, there is the risk that the wound will open without the proper care. For indoor cats, it is difficult already, for outdoor stray cats, it is harder.

We have a stray eating outside our house. She was pregnant when she got here. She has already given birth to 3 kittens and they are all living near our house. We had planned to have her spayed right away but it is difficult to catch her. We had planned to put her in a cage while she is recuperating and had everything all set. But the problem is catching her. My mother helpled me catch her but was bitten. I asked an organization how to go about it and they advised to feed her near the cage until it does not become a threat to her anymore. They offer spaying services which are very affordable for stray cats.

There is another cat Chester who was neutered earlier this year. He is now doing fine and has grown so big. I have adopted him and he is living inside with all the other kitties. This is the first time I've introduced an adult cat to my brood. I usually bring in kittens so that the bigger ones will not be so aggressive and vice versa.

I hope that everything goes well with the female cat. This is a learning experience for us as well.

4 Comments:

  • What a sweet picture!

    Both of my cats were adopted from the animal shelter. I'm not allowed to go back at this point. :)

    By Blogger Lab Kat, at 5:04 AM  

  • Hi lab kat,

    I would love to hear about your cats. I got one of my cats from the clinic where we have them treated.

    By Blogger catgirlph, at 9:55 AM  

  • Our neighbor which shouldn't have even been allowed to produce children much less have animals had a cat that was always having kittens.

    I heard from other neighbors that he would kill the kittens. One day I captured his cat and took her to the vet and had her spayed. He didn't even miss her. I know that might bother some people, but at least I know there are no more kittens being killed. I will do the same thing if he ever gets another cat.

    He is too stupid to not realize she stopped getting pregnant....some neighbor I have...huh?

    Oh, also. I redid my website. I am at www.warmpuppies.com Drop by sometimes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 AM  

  • Hi Chrissy,

    I think that it's a wonderful thing you did, having your neighbor's cat spayed. You're right, he shouldn't have cats, I don't understand some people.

    As for the Mommy cat we were trying to capture, we're giving her a little space as she's very wary of coming near us, as we have attempted to catch her twice. But I'm determined to have her spayed.

    Will love to drop by your website. I also have a puppy called Honey.

    By Blogger catgirlph, at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home