Amazing Felines - Cat Blog

1.08.2006

Cat bites


In handling animals, one can expect to be bitten eventually. I have several indoor cats and I do receive nips once in awhile, but I have had them since they were kittens and they get their shots regularly and never go out. I always take care not to be bitten by strays. However, these things do happen no matter how careful one can be.

It is important to know what to do when you do get bitten, either by dogs or cats or any wild animal as they can transmit rabies and tetanus. The area should be cleaned immediately, I was told with laundry detergent and the blood should be allowed to be kept flowing out of the area. Afterwards, use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound. I take extra precaution of using iodine solution.

Next comes the part nobody likes, the shots. The first shot usually is the tetanus shot and then series of rabies shots depending on the category of the bite received. The animal also has to be observed for 2 weeks to see if it has gone rabid or dies. It's not easy to do this if the animal is a stray.

I have been observing the cat and he seems to be his normal self. When infected, they lose their appetite, stay away from water as well as from people and other cats. I still had the shots after I got bitten. Better to be safe than sorry.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Flourish,

    My cat Bitty was chased by a dog outside the house. I ran after them to get my poor Bitty. He's blind and was so stressed out at the time, that it was me he bit. Good thing, he wasn't hurt and that his shots are updated.

    By Blogger catgirlph, at 9:32 PM  

  • Wow! This is a serious picture you've posted here!

    My daughter just recently adopted three cats. I have never been exposed to them before. I don't think I've ever seen one with such a frightening look on their face before!

    I decided that I didn't want to remain ignorant any longer about cats, for my daughter's sake, so I started searching and found this site. I think it must be new, because they don't have many products yet.

    But, among what they DO have is this product called, 365 Fun Discoveries about Cats. I got it for me and for my daughter. (The site is www.bullinspetboutique.com, for anyone interested.)

    I am learning so much amazing stuff about cats that I have a newly found appreciation for them.

    Anyway, I just wanted you to know that this picture is great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home