Amazing Felines - Cat Blog

4.17.2006

Kindred Spirits





I find it amazing that love for animals can bring people closer. Even for people that I don't like in the beginning, I look at differently when I find out that they care for animals. You get to thinking maybe there is something good in this person that he has an affinity with these wonderful creatures. And it can bring total strangers to talk like long lost friends.

I took my kittens to the vet a few weeks ago, it was near closing time. I was playing with one of them when this woman came in and sat beside me when she saw my babies. We started talking and found out that we both loved cats. She also took in strays and she showed me their pictures on her phone. The reason she went to the vet's office was to have tags made for her cats because one of them, her favorite, had gone missing. She started crying and apologizing, she said that nobody seemed to understand what she was going through. That people were saying she was acting like a crazy person just because of a cat. She had put up posters and she saw people just tearing them down. My heart went out to her. If one of my cats went missing, I would definitely go crazy with worry. I tried to console her as best as I could, but I knew that there are no words I could say that would comfort her.

How can some people be so insensitive? We don't just treat them as animals but as family members.

7 Comments:

  • That story made mom sad. She knows how that lady feels and would probably cry too. We sure hope she finds her lost kitty. We'll say prayers for her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 AM  

  • My mom went through that once when our house was robbed a long long time ago and Eddie was still a baby. He got out through the open window and went missing. She was so distraught, it even went on the sheriff's report--"cat missing." But it had a happy ending--Eddie'd been so scared he'd squashed himself behind a shelving unit in the garage and hid there for hours and hours and hours, until he had the courage to call to my mom.

    By Blogger Ivan from WMD, at 9:27 PM  

  • (Cruxley's mom here)
    I have gone through this twice and both times it was just awful. Very few people understand. When my Big Boy went missing, we had just moved a few weeks earlier. I drove by our old house and even put out posters and cat traps to see if he had tried to go home. We're pretty sure one of our neighbors killed him. That neighbor (or at least the top suspect) is now in prison for killing a human being. Maybe one day people will start taking cruelty to animals seriously.
    Cruxley may have to write about this one day. (He and Big Boy were friends.)
    Anyway, I hope the woman finds her cat and bless you for being understanding with her.

    By Blogger cruxley's mom, at 10:37 AM  

  • Aw, poor sweet lady. I used Sherlock Bones when my Boo went missing, v. sad. I think cats are harder because when people see a loose cat, they figure it is just an outdoor cat as opposed to lost (like an off-leash dog).

    TELL me about it...I just found out my 17 year-old, Zippy, has a rare form of cancer, but am afraid to tell my new boss what's going on less he think I'm a C.C.L. right off the bat :P

    By Blogger Pisser, at 6:42 AM  

  • Hi Zoo,

    The valentine kitten's name is Snickers. He is now 5 pounds and very much at home with us and the rest of the cats. He's very playful and has a very large appetite. He's on his way to being a spoiled brat :)

    By Blogger catgirlph, at 12:51 PM  

  • How can one say "it's only a cat !" When my cat died after 20 years of commun life I can tell you I cried more than I ever did in my whole life ! For me humans or animals are the same in my heart. So if I can't cry because a relative died but I cry over my cat it's just because you cannot go over your heart. And that is the same when an animal is missing. I also went mad when one of my cats didn't show up for 3 days ! If you want to read a little more about my cats then visit me on http://gattina-cats.blog.com/and http://gattina-mycats.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Gattina, at 11:07 PM  

  • I have all my cats microchipped just in case they ever get wily and make a break for the outdoors and I lose them. I would be devastated if I lost them that way. I hope the woman found her cat.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home